Working on north star
How many years has Lori been working on North Star? Hard to tell since time seems to be moving differely for everyone these days. “It’s been a journey, that’s for sure, and I’m trilled and grateful to have so many wonderful collaborators who have helped me make this crazy dream come true,” says Hamilton.
Here are some numbers for North Star.
- Six years of writing
- Years working with voice coach Dr. Jan Eric Douglas
- Months working with busy director, Sean Daniels
- Over two years to master singing in all the arias
- 1000+ hours of rehearsals
- 100s of hours working with 12 vintage suitcases (some needing multiple repairs since throwing them around is rough on them!)
- Three broken ribs (ouch!)
- One sprained ankle (note to self: do not fly over suitcases in our act)
- One of 2021’s most embarrassing injury Golf Elbow.
- Lori went through two pair of dance shoes,
- 27 versions of the script (who’s counting though?)
- Three sets of knees pads
- Learned five original dances, choreographed by Maya Orchin
- 14 musicans on 12 songs, including writing four of Lori’s original works.
- Two very demanding cats and “helpers” throughout the process.
She had planned to perform North Star at Edinburgh Fringe 2020. Of course, like all else, the pandemic played a part in how everyone’s life worked. As the pandemic was ramping up in February and March 2020, Lori was working to put the finishing touches on her album. She followed New York’s plan to stay in place at home and spent her time working on fine-tuning the show and with choreographer Maya Orchin staying in and working.
Creating anything creative during a pandemic is interesting and working on North Star with an entire team of people over Zoom, FaceTime, phone, text and email over the last year has proved challenging and rewarding and fun.
Thanks to technology and a committed creative team, Lori has reached her goal and is ready for Brighton Fringe, in collaboration with theSpaceUK to live stream 28 May – 6 June and for Edinburgh Fringe in August 2020.